- cd - Change Directory. (Just like in dos)
- mkdir - Make Directory.
- rmdir - Removes a Directory that is empty!
- ls - List directory. (Like dir in Windows)
- cat – Short for concatenate. It was used to concatenate two filestogether via cat file1 file2 >file3 Didn‘t know that did you. Theechoing out to standard out gave cat a whole new meaning to the users.
- more - Just like less. It pages output to the screen.
- mv - Move. For moving files and directories around
- rm Remove a file. Also rm rf for removing a folder and it‘scontent.
- grep - Used to search for text within a stream or files. (man regex)
- vi – A text based editor. You‘ll find that it‘s really a symboliclink to vim now a days.
- rlogin - Remote login. I hope your admins disabled this!
- passwd - Used to change your password.
- ps - Used to processes.
- nice - Run a program with lower priority so you don't hog CPU.
- kill – Terminates a program. You can select what signal you want tokill a program with also. -9
- gzip - Compresses files.
- gunzip - Uncompresses files.
- tee – Pipe your output to standard out and to a file. Nice forwatching a process and logging.
- sort - A sort program
- sed – Stream Editor. Excellent program to modify files or streams!(man regex)
- uniq - Unique program.
- awk – An excellent program to parse up streams or files into tokens.It supports a hellva lot of cool things and you can complete writeprograms with it. (man nawk also)
- chgrp - Change Group
- chown - Change owner
- pwd - Current working directory.
- find – Used to find programs and you can also execute commands oneach match found.
- wc - Word, line, letter count program. For you line counting whores.
- which - Finds a location of a program that's in your path.
- last - See who last logged in.
- du - Disk usage.
- df - Disk Free
- top – Running processes with CPU and other information thatrefreshes.
- watch – Repeats a command and updates the screen with only thechanges
- login - Logging in
- telnet - Connect to another machine
- logout - Logging out
- emacs - Using the emacs text editor
- cp - Making a copy of a file
- chmod - Controlling access to your files
- cmp - Comparing two files
- compress - Compress a file
- pine Using Pine to send and receive email
- mush - The mush electronic mail system
- talk - Talk to another user
- write - Write messages to another user
- ftp - Transferring files with ftp
- man - Manual pages
- quota v Finding out your available disk space quota
- ical - Using the Ical personal organizer
- finger - Getting information about a user
- who - Finding out who's logged on
- lpr - Printing
- lprm - Removing a print job
- lpq - Checking the print queues
- ps - Finding your processes
- kill - Killing a process
- nohup - Continuing a job after logout
- nice - Changing the priority of a job
- & - What is a background process?
- Cntrl-z - Suspending a process
- fg - Resuming a suspended process
Tuesday, July 26, 2005
Common UNIX Commands
I just decied to look for a few commonly used UNIX command. A quick Google produces a lot more, but here are a list of more useful commands.
Popular Posts (Last 30 days)
Bugzilla is the Bugs/Issues Tracking Tool from The Mozilla Organization. Version 2.18 is the latest stable release. There are couple of res...
There are two ways of achieving it: You can add a meta tag to the generated HTML content indicating that the page must not be indexed b...
Now you can easily post your Blogger post on MSN Spaces without doing any cut-copy-paste. The trick is very simple and anybody can use it in...
Here is the list of Online Hindi Radio Stations. Copy the URL in your media player and enjoy !! 106.2 HUMFM - UAE ==> http://www.humfm...
I have been assigned to prepare a checklist for my project. So, while compiling a checklist for SQLs, I suggested to use SELECT COUNT(COLUMN...
Mark the location of the first character of the block of text you want to copy by pressing mx This marks the begining of the text to be copi...
I am trying to install on a Linux machine (Fedora). Facing a couple of issues(I, being a Windows guy, was to face those issues :(... Anyw...
Funny Software Testing Quotes https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/funny-software-testing-quotes-prashant-pc?trk=api%2Aa129380%2As137781%2A Se...
I have been forwarded some study material on Core Java related stuff from The Training Group in my Organization to prepare for a forthcoming...
Received the pic in an email :)